Outside of your choice of beans, a proper grind may be the MOST important consideration when it comes to brewing a quality cup of coffee. When just starting on your coffee journey, you may want to consider a manual grinder first. We took a look at 7 of the Manual Coffee grinders for French Press, evaluated their pros.
Whether on the go or at home a manual coffee grinder is just what you need. Every coffee lover has different habits of drinking coffee, however, on one aspect, they are all similar.
What is the best coffee grinder for the french press? A bit hard to find on the Best Manual coffee grinder for the French press but the good news for you is we have an expert team to market research about the best Coffee grinders.
A french press coffee lover specialty coffee movement took it to next level. So it deepens what you are looking for. you’ll need to add a new gadget to your morning coffee routine to match your elevated expectations. We picked the best manual grinder for the french press based on their price, quality, durability, performance, and more.
Here’s Our Top Picks- Top 7 Best Manual Coffee grinders for French Press
Best for Overall– JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder for French Press
Best Value- Victoria Manual Coffee Grinder
Budget-Friendly- Hario Ceramic Manual coffee grinder for French Press
Under 50- Hario Ceramic ‘Mini-Slim Plus’ Manual Coffee Grinder
Portable – Akirakoki Manual French Press Coffee grinder
Cost-effective – TIMEMORE Chestnut C2 French Press Manual Grinder
Multi-purpose – REDMOND Electric Coffee Bean Grinder
Table of Contents
- Are manual coffee grinders better than electric ?
- 7 Best Manual Coffee grinders for French Press
- 1. JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder for French Press
- 2. Victoria Manual Coffee Grinder
- 3. Hario Ceramic Manual coffee grinder for French Press
- 4. Hario Ceramic ‘Mini-Slim Plus’ Manual Coffee Grinder
- 5. Akirakoki Manual French Press Coffee grinder
- 6. TIMEMORE Chestnut C2 Manual French Press Coffee Grinder
- 7. REDMOND Electric Coffee Bean Grinder
- Automatic vs. manual coffee grinders: Which is better?
- How does a manual coffee grinder work?
Are manual coffee grinders better than electric ?
Now here are six reasons why using a manual coffee grinder is much better than an electric grinder:
- Controlled heat regulation during the grinding process
- Consistency of coffee grind
- Discretion of hand-assisted coffee making
- Portability of a coffee grinder
- Affordability of a manual coffee grinder
- Enjoyable experience of custom coffee
7 Best Manual Coffee grinders for French Press
Well, this post will ensure that you choose the good manual coffee grinders that you can buy right and not waste your money on the low-quality options out there.
1. JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder for French Press
Why we Like: Excellent Build Quality, Consistent Ground Size, Decent Capacity (5 tablespoons of beans), Best coffee bean grinder for one or two cups, perfect for travel, and Outstanding customer service.
If you’re looking for speed in the morning or plan on brewing more than two cups at once, want a quiet start to the day, and enjoy the process of making that perfect cup, begin to finish, or looking for a good portable grinder, then I highly commend this JavaPresse French press manual grinder.
- 18 Adjustable grind setting to craft your perfect cup
- Great for all coffee brewing methods
- Built in Adjustable grind selector
- Patented dual plated ceramic burr assembly
- Convenient, Portable & Easy to Use
JavaPresse Coffee Grinder is a great, easy-to-use tool for grinding your coffee. It excellently grinds coffee beans to brew in any type of coffee maker. Let me tell you, this French press grinder made a HUGE variety in the flavor of my coffee, and I will never go back to a blade grinder!
This French press manual grinder works great for grinding small amounts of coffee beans for 2 to 4 servings, depending on the preferred energy. It takes about 2 to 3 minutes to grind up a full container of beans at a weight of about 1 ounce.
The grain size is easily flexible and once set you can leave it at that setting. Would not suggest purchasing this manual grinder if one needs to grind a whole bag of beans, would be best to have it done at the store or purchase a proper electric grinder. If one wants the freshest coffee, I grind about 1 oz of dark roast beans and mix with store-bought ground coffee for an added taste boost.
If you like a nice grind, make sure you close or turn the adjustment screw for the bit to the right. Then, turn to the left 1-3 clicks to set for a fine grind. I find I require to fill the hopper with beans to get the strong coffee I want. It took a few minutes of grinding, but I enjoyed the process, so it never felt tedious to me. This coffee grinder has a 2-year warranty, All in all, an outstanding addition to my kitchen, and the little bit of work it takes to get your morning cuppa gives the taste more savory.
- Easy to set up, use and clean!
- Great manual conical burr coffee grinder
- Super coarse and chunky is best for French press
- Inexpensive, compact, reasonably quiet, it works
- No electricity needed just a little arm power always clockwise!
- This is great for travel as well as home
- It’s pretty vague
- Difficult to adjust the grind size
2. Victoria Manual Coffee Grinder
Why we Like: Victoria kitchen grain grinder is perfect for green, daily use, or emergencies. Great Grinder for grainsHeavy duty single cast body. Excellent grinder for the money.
If you enjoy grinding your grains this Victoria machine is perfect for you. If you are trying to do this as a business I think it is best to use their electric products that use the latest Manual coffee grinder machines that are designed to be trouble-free, and long-lasting.
- Cast iron body and clamp
- Anti-erosion white iron disks for maximum durability and performance
- Clamp comes with a protective non-slip rubber
- Sanitary tin double-coat, compliant with international regulations for food preparation
- Highly resistant to wear.
- The clamp is easily adjustable to most tables and boards.
- Adjust for fine or coarse grain according to the milling
- Grinding disk cover for safety and grind output control
This coffee grinder is solid, easy to assemble and disassemble, and is great for my needs (beer making). You can customize the coarseness and fineness of your milling using the adjusting screw.
Grind 1 to 2 Cups of cheap dried beans to prepare the grinding plates. Discard the first preparation millings before starting your actual milling. This Grain grinder is made of cast iron and is tin-plated, to take care of the mill.
It is tough to find a good position to use it and it tends to shimmy around so it is best to permanently mount it somewhere and use some bolts to keep it from doing so. When you wash it…make sure it is dried and parts are disassembled until all moisture is gone. The clamps will damage counters so keep that in mind. If looking to purchase This French press coffee grinder, please take care of it as instructed and you will be happy with it. It comes mostly assembled with all the parts needed to complete the assembly.
- It is very durable, easy to use and splits seeds well
- the silver body and red protective cove blend very good with a black tablecloth
- Sturdy and easy to assemble
- Adjustments are easy to make
- Very heavy construction,Grind Anything!
- The clamp is easily adjustable to most tables and boards
- Takes some muscle
- Difficult to hook to the table/counter
3. Hario Ceramic Manual coffee grinder for French Press
Why we Like: Elegant Design Make It Very Durable, and Easy to Use and to Clean. A wonderful hand grinder & Great for traveling.
If you love coffee and choose to grind your beans each time you make coffee, I highly recommend Hario French press grinder. It is perfect for making pour-over coffee or a small french press.
After research, we found this particular Hario mill to be the perfect one for me. Easy to use/clear, and quickly found the right bean/grind level/water ratio, so no longer need to estimate. It’s very easy to adjust the grinder to get the perfect coarseness, and once you set it, it holds that position. It’s principally made from plastic, but it’s very thick and long-lasting.
Surely takes a bit of time to grind the coffee, but the effort pays off. It takes me about 2-3 minutes to grind enough coffee for a pour-over cup, about 5-6 minutes (filling the hopper twice) to make a french press for two people. Adjusting the coarseness is easy and the handle comes off so it saves a lot of storage space. The only drawback is that it is slightly noisy since there is no sound deadening material at all, but it’s a welcome trade-off for the small size and ability to transport camping/traveling/etc.
If you don’t need to grind coffee manually very often, then this coffee grinder is a great option to have on hand. I highly recommend this grinder if you are looking for an inexpensive manual burr grinder but want a consistent grind.
- Easy to handle without slipping.
- The best grinder for a value investment
- Easy to use, fast, and quiet!
- Elegant Design Make It Very Durable
- The grind is mostly uniform, comfortable grip
- There’s some static in the chamber, making it harder to pour out the grinds.
4. Hario Ceramic ‘Mini-Slim Plus’ Manual Coffee Grinder
Why we Like: A Good Quality Hand Grinder- Easy Peasy & delicious brew- Great little Travel Burr Grinder.
If you are looking for a compact, manual french press coffee grinder that offers regular results, Hario Ceramic Mini Slim is A fine burr grinder for traveling and vacations. I use this for black peppercorns and it does a wonderful job. The grind is much more even than other grinders in the course setting. It is far excellent to my professional blade spice grinder, Truly a well-designed item.
- Improved reinforced hexagonal adapter for increased grind consistency
- Small lightweight and slim design
- Easy to read measurements up to 2 cups of storage
- Good materials (the plastic bits feel quite sturdy, not your standard cheap plastic)
- Easy to take apart and maintain/clean
- Gives relatively consistent grinds to brew a decent cup of coffee
- Grinds 25g in a manageable amount of time (a few minutes)
To adjust the coarseness of the grind, first, tighten the screw to the strongest setting. Then turn it loose three or four clicks. You are going to need to crank it -yes, and it will take time which will depend on what size grounds you need for your program. I do 3.5 Tbsp of medium-coarse for my French press and I stop grinding before the kettle is ready.
It’s perfect for your morning coffee, if you brew it traditionally, filling it to the top will be perfect for just over 2 cups of water. It is easy to grind and doesn’t take that long to grind, maybe about 2-3 minutes.
This is a must-have accomplice if you love drinking fresh coffee. This little tool doesn’t take any place in the kitchen and it is very easy to use. It is very compact and fits in a bag while going on vacation. Excellent travel grinder or for quiet mornings.
- Easy to use and very easy to adjust grind size
- Good quality, consistent grind
- Relatively quite, very compact and stable
- Plus it is very easy to assemble, dissesemble
- Good sized hopper for 30g of beans
- Needs a modification to get good consistency in grind
Is coffee bad or good for health? Health benefits of coffee
5. Akirakoki Manual French Press Coffee grinder
Why we Like: – Great grinder for a great price, attractive, compact, very functional, Amazing as a pepper mill.
At this amount, you really can’t beat what you’re getting. Akirakoki build quality of this grinder is excellent, but maybe the best part is that it’s a very simple machine. I perpetually recommend fresh ground beans. This Manual coffee grinder is perfect for one or two cups and is well made, easy to use, and perfect.
- Pig iron top, solid wood body
- Durable Cast iron conical burr
- Adjustable coffee grinding
- Simple to disassemble for a thorough cleaning,
- Smooth and easy grind, and consistently eliminates noise.
There’s very scarce complexity, which is why it makes so much sense. The hopper has three “blades” inside that stir the beans into the grinding path, and it keeps things from stagnating and forcing you to tap around the body.
I even poured the catch back into the grinder to grind to a finer setting, and despite my fear that it wouldn’t be able to grind twice, it surely can. Also, the organization to the grind is very clear, because you can quickly see the burr tightening as you turn the nob, which feels much clearer to me than a vague number that I have to memorize.
You have to make sure that the metal washer goes on first, then the retaining ring, underneath the handle. That will keep the retaining ring from scrubbing the metal plate. If you have metal shavings on your spots, This French press coffee grinder is set way too close. There should always be a gap. How else will the grinds be able to pass through to the collection chamber? Not too difficult to figure out.
Keep in mind, Never fully tighten the grinding screw. Hold the grinder and spin the handle clockwise slowly to grind beans. (Do not spin the handle counterclockwise.
Overall, adding this has been amazing and I enjoy the manual grind and process of making my taste coffee with this quality grinder.
- The haptics and aromatics are amazing!
- Works great to grind beans to grounds of even consistency
- Consistent grind, perfect for the Melita funnel/filter
- Simple, elegant, and easy to use
- Build quality is excellent with solid wood body and cast iron burr.
- It’s a little large for my small hands so it’s hard to grip
6. TIMEMORE Chestnut C2 Manual French Press Coffee Grinder
Why we Like: Smooth operation, quick grinding. Well built, compact & high performance, with just enough capacity for 2 cups.
If you’re making single or double shots one at a time at home, this Manual French Press burr grinder is a great affordable, quiet, compact, and movable option to a large electric grinder that would cost hundreds.
- Roughness adjustment function about 36 steps
- Labor-saving performance(Smooth operation, quick grinding)
- Compact body of 52 mm (easy to grasp even for small hands)
- Made ofsharp stainless steel
- Checkered pattern design
- Super fast and easy grinder
I’ve been using Timemore Chestnut C2 Manual Coffee Grinder for some months most mornings. Its lower grind settings are perfect for espresso and very consistent. I’ve had no arguments with the grinder set moving on its own. you can grind a 16-gram dose in about 40 seconds without much effort. This is a marked better than my old hand grinder.
You gotta spend a minimum of 35 or 40 bucks to get a decent grinder, spend double that, and know that you have made a lifetime purchase and now own an impressive work of art. The grounds container screws off easily, without binding, and dumps perfectly without leaving a lot of coffee dust behind.
The construction quality is great and the removable handle fits in solidly and works perfectly. It’s also easy to clean and comes with a nice cleansing brush and storage bag.
If you are making coffee for one and want a quality grinder that doesn’t break the bank, this coffee grinder could be your best option.
- Very quick mill, Simple, easy to clean
- Adjustable for various grinds, max time for finest grind is about 1.5 minutes
- Super sturdy materials, – No metal flavor
- Easy to dial- Cheap and high-quality materials
- Ergonomic, compact, sturdy and delivers a perfect grind
- Small grind volume
- Top hand slides on rather than clips on
7. REDMOND Electric Coffee Bean Grinder
Why we Like: Ideal Gift for Coffee Lover-A machine to lift your spirit- sturdy materials and easy to use and clean.
If you need a little French press coffee grinder that is not too bulky and can be taken with you on your trip, you can’t choose REDMOND Coffee Grinder one wrong. Excellent quality, perfect match with the espresso grind, Easy to use and carry with Ideal Gift for Coffee Lover.
- One button operation
- Multi-purpose dry grinder
- 160w, fast grinding in 20 seconds
- 2 high-quality food-grade stainless steel blades
- 2.8oz removable cup: 80G capacity stainless steel detachable bowl design
- 2-1 brush & easy to store
I’ve only used it around four times, and it now has a very long crack. It has a 2.8 oz Removable Cup with a top and includes a dusting brush.
The clear top stops grounds from splashing out and you do not need to hold it on. It not only grinds coffee beans, but it also grinds spices, nuts, herbs, pepper, seeds, and grains.
It is strong and takes no time to grind. After 30-60 seconds the beans are ground evenly. I savor that you can remove the cup to pour the grindings out. Not too loud and is capable. It contains a lot, still crushes them and there is no mess from trying to use a too-small cup.
It would be superior if you could pick your grind and not have to guess but it seems like the more complex grinders are the more problems you have.
A charming little machine of which alone the prospect of getting to use it in the daylight to make my coffee puts me in a good mood.
- Bowl and blades remove as a unit.
- Washes up in a minute,Plenty of power
- Perfect for our small family and fresh ground coffee daily
- Classic color, easy to use and clean
- Like the size – makes it easy to grind various amounts of beans
- The sound is not loud
Automatic vs. manual coffee grinders: Which is better?
Spending some time deciding which is the right coffee grinder for you is worthwhile to avoid buying one that doesn’t fit your requirements.
Manual coffee grinders tend to do a better job than automatic coffee grinders of a similar price, but automatic coffee grinders make lighter work of grinding beans, especially when making coffee for a crowd.
How does a manual coffee grinder work?
You turn the handle and it grinds the coffee. Manual means hand. Grinders grind. Coffee is coffee beans.
They work the same way as a electric one, except that instead of an electric motor, you have to turn the grinding mechanism yourself. Manually.
Although automatic coffee grinders are available, many people prefer to use the best manual coffee grinder while preparing coffee. If you love your coffee as we do, then you are likely picky about your grinds.
There are many various types of coffee grinders available. So, identifying which one is right for you to make your best coffee is crucial. A french press coffee grinder may just be the most important coffee-making appliance and the key to brewing high-quality cups every time.
Thanks for reading.
Best for Overall– JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder
I don’t think speed will affect the grind quality. Just use a burr grinder and calibrate the grind to the right setting for what you want. Indecent grinders, the burrs shouldn’t wiggle around while you are turning it, so you shouldn’t end up with an uneven grind. When I am using it, I always turn it as fast as humanly possible and never have problems.
In general, manual coffee grinders take around one minute to grind enough for a big cup.Typically, you’ll be able to grind for 2-3 cups in less than 45 seconds.
Unfortunately, they are only so good. Even the best manual coffee grinder is not going to come close to the quality level of a Rancilio or top-of-the-line Baratza. Manual grinders are usually good at making fine coffee grounds but the effort level is a big barrier to overcome.
A good quality grinder that is used regularly should last you for about 5-10 years
Manual coffee grinders are middle to high performers that produce uniform-sized grounds (which is essential to balance and delicious coffee). They can do this consistently for all grind sizes, from French press to espresso,
Yes, you can grind coffee beans without a grinder.